Tuesday, June 5, 2007

childhood memories

Ever look back to when you were a kid?
Not through events or life, but just at yourself, what you must have been like as a person then.
I love to hear people tell stories of growing up, everyone has things that sound so silly to even remember, but still stuck in their minds for some reason.
At times it's people in your own family who add their memories gathered along the way, things about you they kept.
My aunt Marie always brings up how for my 5th birthday, she took me to the toy store and said I could have anything I wanted.... anything at all.
What did I pick???
A paper doll that cost a quarter.
No matter what she tried, I would not change my mind, THAT is what I wanted.
SHE had planned to give me something more special - like my first bicycle, and was so mad over what I chose....
I laugh and blame it on her .... she should have said I'm taking you to get a bike, then I would have never even thought about wanting a paper doll .... better yet, she could have bought both!!!!
Aunt Marie always says when she looks at me she still just sees that little girl ... up Grandmas ass - hands into everything - sneaking kittens into the house.
She also likes to remind me of the time I OD'ed on sleeping pills at age 3.
Hey, thinking now, maybe that's why I never got into drugs as a teen??
They say the foundation of who you will be is formed in those three years.
Maybe they are right.
That time was spent almost entirely with grandparents .
My one Grandfather had his own advertising agency down town and since my granny Boo hated "business" stuff - anytime he had to take a client out I got to dress up and be his dinner date.
I remember this cause my favorite thing to do during dinner was - use the restroom, several times .... ok I was playing in the sink mostly, but there was also a tray of pretty grown up girl stuff I loved to just look at.
Perfume, lipstick, lotion.
His (my grandfathers) favorite memory from this to share ..... is the time I looked straight at his very important client and calmly stated.... " your stupid, I hope your gonna shut up soon"
:( .... (head down) this lesson I may still be working on.
but he didn't get mad. He always had a way of explaining things with why and how.
I can come up with a million of these memories .....
Simple ones I've been told are, I never wanted to go to bed, in fact I screamed until I puked - but instead of fighting for control we came to a compromise .... music boxes to wind and listen too till I feel asleep, or sometimes those read-along books on tape things ....... anyone else have them? I love them!
One I always tell myself, to that little girl inside ... once my mother was in the bathroom and had locked the door..... so I lie on the floor looking through the crack demanding to be let in, and she just wouldn't open it!!! I got mad and said "I want my daddy" ..... but then I thought no, ... he would get mad that I was throwing a fit .... and changed my mind .... "I want my Boo instead".... wait? she would just tell me to go sit down and wait .................. I got up, went and sat on the steps thinking over every person I knew and what I thought their reaction would be to the situation I was in and what advice they would give. None of them!! I was sure!!! would say screaming and crying or demanding was the best thing to do, maybe I should just wait for her to come out ....
LOL there never was hope for my brain ever, from the begining!
Thank god!!
I wish someone else will leave a memory in the comments, my inner child LOVES LOVES LOVES to share, and now your all just mean and very bad people if you read that and don't :P

No comments: